So after a few occasions this week where I’ve eaten out, yesterday after work it was time to get cooking! We are BIG curry fans in my house, so I’d decided on one of our favourites, lamb rogan josh. The recipe is originally from a Slimming World cookbook called “Curry Heaven”, but I’ve tweaked it a bit over the last year or so that I’ve been cooking it!
Lamb rogan josh
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- low cal cooking spray/splash of oil
- 1 tsp each of ground coriander, paprika, ground ginger and chilli powder
- 1lb lamb steak, fat removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x 1inch pieces of cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 200ml chicken stock
- 2tsp artificial sweetener
- a small handful of fresh coriander, chopped
Fry the onion and garlic in the cooking spray/oil until soft. Add all the powdered spices and fry for one minute (add a little water if it gets too dry).
Add the lamb, tomatoes, bay leaf, cinammon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, stock and sweetener and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, until reduced. Stir occasionally to stop it sticking.
Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon sticks. Stir in the chopped coriander and serve immediately with your choice of side. I cheated and used Tilda 2 minute pilau rice for the microwave! Well, it’d been a long day 😉